Cow Slaughter Prevention (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020
- The Cow Slaughter Prevention (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020 was passed by the Uttar Pradesh government recently.
- The old act provided for seven years of imprisonment and a fine of ten thousand rupees. It is also provided that it could extend up to one-half of the longest term that was provided for the offenses of slaughtering, transportation, and sale; the amendment provides for imprisonment of up to ten years and a fine of 5 lakhs.
- In the new act, the owner of the transportation facility can be charged under the act unless proven it was without his knowledge.
- The driver and operator will also be charged under the act. The outlay of the bovine would be recovered from the owner of the vehicle.
- If someone endangers the cow’s life by omitting to provide food and water with the intention of doing so, they can be imprisoned for a year with a fine of one lakh.
- This can be extended to seven years and a fine of three lakhs for the first offense. Also, the authorities can stick up pictures of the accused if they go on the run.