Why is the trademark stopped from being used?
- An acid inhibitor by the name of Coronil- 92 B already exists.
- This drug was created by Arudra Engineering Private Limited, a Chennai based company.
- It was created in June 1993.
- The drug is still in production and its registration is renewed accordingly.
The Facts and the Verdict
- Arudra Engineering Private Limited filed an injunction against Patanjali Ayurved Limited.
- It was done due to the fact that the defendant had made a drug trademarked ‘Coronil’ when a drug by the name of ‘Coronil- 92 B’ already exists.
- Justice Karthikeyan (Madras High Court) gave the verdict in favour of the defendant and restrained the use of the mark ‘Coronil’ till July 30th, 2020.
- The reason was cited as the obvious similarity in the name and the spelling being the same.